Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

5.15.2012

Fabric Covered Magnet Board and Covered Glass Stone Magnets

I thought it would be fun to have a place to include random pictures of my family (the one's that usually end up on the refrigerator and then sometimes on the floor) as part of the photo gallery wall I'm working on.  I decided on making a fabric covered magnet board.  They're kind of fun to make, have you made one before?


They're easy to personalize (with fabric and frame choices) and are a great way to use frames and fabric remnants that you might already have on hand.  I think a framed magnet board would also be a great inexpensive small gift idea.

You can print the quote here at Poppies at Play.

I bought the frame for $2 at a thrift store and then painted it with Rustoleum's oil rubbed bronze spray paint.  The corners are all chipped up, but the dark paint hides it well.  The details on the frame match the mirror that I showed you here and is the same fabric I used to hang the moss wreath.


How to Make A Fabric Covered Framed Magnet Board


You can buy small squares of flashing? at Lowes for .56 each (they're used for roofing and are next to the rolls of sheet metal).  For a small project it's cheaper than buying a full roll.  I had to trim one of them with tin snips (wear gloves) so that it would fit.  I sprayed the frame's cardboard backing with spray adhesive glue and then stuck them on.


Press the fabric first with an iron so that it's wrinkle free then place the metal backing over the fabric (right side of the fabric down).   Bring the fabric to the back and glue it in place, pulling it tight as you go.

How to Make Fabric Covered Glass Stone Magnets


I've Mod Podged paper onto the back of glass stones many times so this time I wanted to do something a little different and glued fabric over the top of them, I really like how they turned out.


The magnets I used are strong enough to hold a 4x6 photo but one a little larger would have been even better.


My magnet board is already filled with snapshots of my kids and a recent certificate of achievement from school and will be a place where we can proudly display the kids drawings as well--it's great!


More projects will be coming--I've just got to make up my mind on how I want to finish them.  Sometimes that's harder than actually making them. :)

Today's Fabulous Find...Fabric Covered Magnet Boards



Linking up to:  Lil' Luna
Pin It!

5 comments:

cheapcraftymama said...

That is so stylish, cute, and easy to make! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at Pin It and Win It Wednesday @ www.cheapcraftymama.com-- where you can win free ad-space on my blog!

farmhouse-story said...

so pretty, janet! i love the fabric on the glass buttons!

Lissa (Bellenza) said...

Love buttons and love magnets. So this project that puts them together is just great!

Karen said...

I never thought to put fabric over those glass stones....genius! Love this idea!

Unknown said...

I have been renovating my house. I stumbled on some clearance fabric that was exactly the right pattern for my theme, and had no idea what I would make. I love this idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails